In education (and in life), we love to typecast…. I think some people think it makes things easier, but what really happens is that it limits potential. For instance, I am sure you have heard typecasting comments in your organization:
- I am a ________ (insert subject, grade, etc) teacher
- That person is only good at __________
- She can only work in a lower-socioeconomic area
- They will never be able to ___________
- We need someone with specific __________ experience
- I’m not a technology person
Until we break the typecasting roles, we are going to struggle. As the 21st Century becomes a reality, how will you resist the temptation to put yourself, or others into the typecast?