The Holiday Break is upon us. There are many educators who thought about this time for the past week, month or maybe even since September, but no matter how long you have prepared yourself it is finally here. There seems to be a lot of preparation and planning about what to do over the break.
I saw this quote on the Elephant Journal website and I thought I would share. I think it is powerful…
Stop waiting for Friday, for summer, for someone to fall in love with you, for life. Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you are in now. Elephant Journal
I am grateful that I saw that quote during the most stressful time for schools (which is clearly the week before Winter Break). The quote made me stop and think about the present moment. Most of us are always wishing for that time or person who will make it all better as opposed to seeing the beauty in the now.
This Winter Break I plan to do the following (not necessarily in any order) and these plans are not definite.
- Read Brene Brown’s Braving the Wilderness. I am intrigued by her work on vulnerability.
- Float. I’ve heard about Float Tanks/Sensory Deprivation tanks for some time. Basically, you get into a tank for a few hours and become suspended in your thoughts, intentions without any distractions.
- Hike. I love to get out into the woods and walk. Southern New Jersey is somewhat mild in the winters and there are plenty of trails near where I live.
- Couch time. Although I sometimes struggle with couch time, I feel it is essential practice to a balanced life. Whether I am watching a documentary, sporting event, movie or binge watching a television series, I find solitude on the couch!
- Write. I am working on a few things and I could see myself spending time in a coffee shop typing away at something or nothing!
- Friends. I love hanging out with friends. There is always an adventure on the horizon.
- Podcast. We recorded a podcast this morning on the PrincipalPLN. Our goal is to get one more in before the new year.
So now is the time for the break. How are you going to spend your break?